compiled by Denise Jenssen-Eager
Our legislators must act and laws must be passed to end the gun violence crisis in our country: stronger background checks, semi-automatic weapons regulations, elimination of high-capacity magazines are just a few of the issues that we are advocating for.
We are fortunate to have representatives in our districts and senators who are with us on these issues, but it’s important to continue to press them and urge them to fight like hell to get sensible gun safety legislation passed. Below are links for you to explore and some current actions so you can choose whether you want to call, sign petitions, &/or write letters.
National Gun Violence Awareness Day is Friday, June 3
- Show your support to by wearing orange, taking a selfie, & posting it on your Facebook page with the message “Today, I will #WearOrange” listing your reason you are against gun violence. Email it to email@example.com to be included in our group count.
Wear Orange Weekend is June 4-5. It will feature virtual and in-person events across the nation. Find how to participate in wear orange.
Everytown for Gun Safety is the umbrella that holds Moms Demand Action & Student Demand Action events & actions. Click the link to get educated about the issues & solutions. Find out what is happening in each state and how you can be a gun sense voter.
- Sign a petition demanding the Senate pass expanded Background Checks.
- End Family Fire. Family fire is a shooting involving an improperly stored or misused gun in the home that results in death or injury. You have the power to end family fire.
- Find out about the many programs they offer schools and teachers.
- Urge your Senator to support legislation that would expand and strengthen Background Checks:
- Urge the U.S. Senate to confirm Steven Dettelbach as the next director of the ATF. A confirmed director is vital to modernize the ATF and keep our communities safe. The Department of Alcohol, Tobacco, & Firearms hasn’t had a permanent director since 2015 and has only had one director since 2006.
- Call your Senator & tell them you want them to pass H.R. 8.
- Democrats hope to call the vote in June. Contact your Senators &, using the script if you want, urge them to support this important piece of legislation. Even if you think that they will support it, it’s important to call!
- Join the Social Justice Committee in our efforts to stop gun violence. Contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org
Social Justice Blog Posts
Several states have already restricted voting rights to discourage voters from casting their ballots. We can help! Take action to reach those voters by working with national organizations coordinating volunteers who encourage voters to cast their ballot in 2022.
Question 1: Have the Congressional Districts in the Coachella Valley changed in 2022?
Answer: Yes, District 36 currently represented by Representative Raul Ruiz has been split.